A couple of years ago I bought one of those adjustable mannequins for sewing clothing. I do not use patterns when I sew, and since furniture has always been easy to slip cover and upholster, I figured clothing shouldn’t be difficult if I had a stationary form to use in creating my designs. The thing was huge, sluggish, and just plain ugly. I couldn’t find a place to stash it when it wasn’t in use so I sold it. A while later, I regretted it being in the midst of a new project and began the search again.
I found another ugly mannequin – only this time is wasn’t adjustable. It was covered in a jersey sock-like cream knit with scuffs on one side from being tossed around in a store front that was long closed down. I bought it for $20 and hauled it home again. It teetered on its stand until my dad fixed it and made it stand upright again. I covered the entire thing with osnaburg fabric – which if you do not know what osnaburg is – you are missing out. It is a cotton linen – like look with specks of natural tones for about a third of the cost of linen. It is not as smooth as fine weaves, but certainly has that middle of the road perfect neutral.
I meticulously stitched the fabric right on top of the knit using uniform stitches that were hidden, yet showed that it was hand stitched. I used the same fabric that serves as my throw pillows on the iron twin beds in the room as well as my sewing chair slip cover to make a rosette to pin at the neckline to dress it up. I use it from time to time – think about selling it just as much – but love the purpose my sewing girl serves.